Why hire Podesta? Aside from being the consummate Washington D.C. insider (former Clinton Chief of Staff, Lobbyist, co-founder of the both The Podesta Group and the Center for American Progress) he was added to the White House Staff and will have a "broad portfolio touching on the economy and congressional relations" according to the NY Times.
But, Podesta is a flaming liberal environmentalist who actually still believes in the global warming hoax and is now empowered to influence official Obama regime policy regarding all things environmental. The official line is that Podesta has "officially recused" himself from anything regarding the Keystone pipeline. More "transparency" from this regime...
A little about the benefits of the $5.3 billion Keystone XL pipeline:
- 9,000 skilled (re:high paying) American workeres will be required to build it.
- 7,000 U.S manufacturing jobs will be supported for the production of steel pipe, valves and pumps
- TransCanada (pipeline owner/manager) already has 50 U.S. suppliers in 18 U.S. states.
- TransCanada currently employs 4,000 U.S. employees in OK & TX building a $2.3 billion Gulf Coast Pipeline Project
- These pipelines will combine for $5 billion in property taxes alone
- The Keystone XL will add $172 billion to the U.S. GDP by 2035 and will create 1.8 million person-years employment in the US over the next 22 years
- Keystone XL will reduce the amount of oil the U.S. needs to import from places like the Middle East and Venezuela who, in case you haven;t noticed, aren't exactly our best friends
Mr. Steyer is also a large, no HUGE, democrat donor (through PACs).
This is all VERY complex and the best exposé on all this is on the Free Beacon.