Thursday, March 01, 2012

Federal Checkpoints on the "Interstate" Highway system in the U.S.? Maybe...


The TSA Is Coming To a Highway Near You

Forbes.com
By Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)

Rep. Blackburn makes an effective argument as to why TSA's agents should not me considered TSO's (Transportation Security Officer's).  But to me, the most crucial paragraph is this one:

Interestingly enough, as TSA officials like to routinely point out, their agency’s acronym stands for Transportation Security Administration, not the Airport SecurityAdministration. This fact has extended the TSA’s reach has far beyond the confines of our nation’s airports. Many of my constituents discovered this first hand this past fall as those familiar blue uniforms and badges appeared on Tennessee highways. In October Tennessee became the first state to conduct a statewide Department of Homeland Security Visible Intermodal Prevention andResponse (VIPR) team operation which randomly inspected Tennessee truck drivers and cars.[Emphasis added]
 If I combine the two points Rep. Blackburn makes, I should not have to comply with a TSO on the roads anywhere in the state.  That is Municipal or State Police's territory only.  I wonder if she'll back me up if I get stopped by one and tell them they'll have to call the real authorities if they want to "inspect" anything.  


Just don't taze me bro'!!

No comments: